Forum
Filter     |   View Watchlist
[ Print Friendly ] [ Watch Thread ]

cg1985
Mars VoltaI noticed there wasnt a single thread for the Mars Volta when i ran it though the search, and i felt this was a travesty. Because the mars volta rock the house.

And not just because they are my favorite band, but because they are probably the best collection of musicians since Led Zeppelin.

Opinions? Comments? Praise?

File below.
#1  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Cool
249 REPLIES Watch  |  Sort by Likes · Date
buggz320
Please enlighten me a little on the band I ushally get into music alot but just havent done any research or heard much about these guys. Even though I love 'The Window'.
#2  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
cg1985
Well The widow is probably their weakest song, while it is still often.

The Mars Volta are a multi genre band that can be classified as prog rock, but in a way they arent prog, Their Average Song length (if you count all their stuff) is about 10 minutes.

They are known for super complex song structure including multiple time signature shifts per song, polyrythms and exotic scales.
They are really a band for Music nerds.

The two headliners of the band Cedric Bixler Zavala and Omar Rodriguez Lopez came from the Popular Polical Quasi hard core band At the Drive-In. Their Drummer jose theadore is said to be the best drummer alive and possibly the best ever. Omar is a wildly awesome guitar player known for his complex chord changes and snakey lead lines that make most guitarists want to pull their hair out.

Cedric drastically improved his vocal abilities from at the drive in and hits ghostly high notes and has an intense voice. And their bassist varies.. but one of note was Flea (the same from RHCP) he played on their first album (de-loused in the comatorium).

So i guess thats about as good of explanation as ever.
#3  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Cool
buggz320
thanks alot. i always wonder about new bands, but have little faith in the record industry. Don't you hate it when you buy a new album from a band that you like there single on the raido, but the rest of the songs on the CD are just crap.

I classify as a music nerd - I'm going to school for audio production/music business
#4  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
cg1985
Cool I am going to school to study jazz and classical music. So i am DEFINATELY a music nerd. But they rock i reccomend picking up deloused in the comatorium, its a bit easier to get into than Frances. Although Frances REALLY rocks the house for music nerds.
#5  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
puma_rocker
*praises*
#6  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Funny
b3durnk
I love the band, and there have been a few ATDI threads that involved talk about the trio (ATDI, Sparta, and the best of them all: The Mars Volta).

I'm a fan, I really like their stuff. I have a mix of most of their stuff I got from a friend. Definately some quality material. Really dig this band.
#7  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
cg1985
Yea. i have a bunch of those rares and life recordings. A Plaugue Upon Your Hissing is awesome...
#8  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
b3durnk
I plan on putting myself into a much better musical state with them. I do believe they're in my top five.
#9  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
cg1985
Yea they are definately in my Top 1. lol. but my top 5 would be:

The Mars Volta
Led Zeppelin
At the Drive-in
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Thats a tentative list.
#10  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
b3durnk
Nice list. I enjoy every one of those bands.

My band secretly covers Jimi's song "Fire". Our drummer loves the drum beat, and it's an overall fun song. We only do it if our keyboardist is unable to make it there. He has yet to come up with a keyboard part. If he can though, it'll be our only cover, probably.
#11  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
cg1985
I see. yea that drum beat does rock. Yea. Originals are always the best, but Covers are a good warm up. and if no one has ever heard you, its good to have a few in the ol repetoire to get the crowd goin.
#12  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
b3durnk
Well we don't like covers much, we just do it as a warm-up for guitar, bass, and drums. We're instrumental, but I can do a good blues voice, so we use that for our Jimi warm up. Anyway, this is not the thread for this. Let's talk about The Mars Volta.

I can't think of any other bands that have a similar sound. They are an amazing bundle of creativity and talent. They are definately an awesome band.
#13  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
cg1985
Yea. they really are amazing, in a day where its so hard to be original, they pulled it off. And in a kick ass way.

Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt Rocks my world.
#14  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
imbenurnot
The Mars Volta are awesome. I havn't listened to enough of their stuff, but I really like what I've heard.
#15  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
cg1985
You should really get their albums, they rock the house.
#16  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
cg1985
Dear Magic_Elf,

Wow did you quote that from the Something Awful website article? oh wait.. you did.. lol.

I admit there is a little bit too much electronic noise and dub effects here and there. I could deal with a little less of that, ESPECIALLY on frances, BUT it is a GIANT stretch of truth to say most of their LONG tracks have only 2 minutes of music.

And If you knew ANYTHING about music you would know they are pure genious. But i guess that is a matter of opinion.

I wont neg mod you for an opinion. But at least make it an educated one next time!

Sincerely,
cg1985
#17  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
cg1985
lol Grindcore.. that stuffs pretty cool. I am a music major myself. I guess it is a question of taste in the end, and it is more than 50% music... and as i said i agree that they could use a little less noise.

so i mean honestly, you could have summed up your first post with, I dont like the mars volta. Because if you agree they are awesome musicians, then your entire argument is just "i dont like the mars volta"

oh well.
#18  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
cg1985
Still sounds like, "wah wah i dont like the mars volta" and now your just throwing around Opinion. So you sound like an asshole, and trying to come off like "i tell it like it is" just makes you sound like a scumbag.

If you dont like the mars volta thats fine. Then sum it up with "i dont like the mars volta" cause thats all your argument is. and thats fine, you dont have to like it, just i dont like any of that crap in your interests.

Deal with it.
#19  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Russ Sponsor
LOL take that

As for mars volta, i am a big fan. i like there first cd more then the new cd. i think that they both have a nice flow to there music. you know all there songs are in the wright spot on the cd. it's hard to find a cd that has a good flow to it
#20  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
cg1985
Yea. I have been having trouble deciding which CD i like better. I really REALLY like Cygmund, l'via, and The decoder track frances the mute.

I dunno i think i like both albums equally for different reasons,

although De-Loused was much better mixed, the instruments and tones were far better balanced. and the drums sounded phenominal, but thats Rick Rubin for you, he is all about the drums, i wish he would have mixed Frances, at least for the drums.

But the songs ROCKED on both albums. ESPECIALLY Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt.

Also if you have the means check out their unreleased track "A plague upon your hissing" Its badass.
#21  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
TuckerIsGod
Just from the descriptions, they sound like they might have more than a few things in common with Opeth. Am i horribly mistaken?
#22  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
cg1985
Hmm i am not sure. let me check out some Opeth and get back to you.

check back in a few minutes.
#23  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Russ Sponsor
i'l;l be sure to look into that .. thanks
#24  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
cg1985
Well, They arent too much like Opeth, other than maybe length of music. Opeth has a more nu-metal spin on it. with all the powerchords and Bluesy scales. But i like them so far. they sound pretty cool.

the mars volta is a little bit more out there, If you havent heard the mars volta. you should really check em out, at least go to itunes and listen to a few previews of their songs.

I may pic up some of this opeth stuff though.
#25  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
TuckerIsGod
Blackwater Park is their best effort. Best Production + Best arrangement + Best song collection
#26  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Russ Sponsor
are there any other songs that can't be foud on the cds or that i should know about
#27  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
cg1985
Cool. i reccomend picking up De-Loused in the Comatorium first. Frances the mute is a more acquired taste.
#28  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Russ Sponsor
Good call on " plague upon your hissing" it's just like you said..... Badass
#29  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
cg1985
Yea. if i could be a song... it would be that song.
#30  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
[ 1 ] [ 2 ] ... [ 8 ] [ 9 ] [ Next ]
Please sign in or sign up to post a comment.