BuckeyeDon Thanks
Japan 8.8 Earthquake and TsunamiMajor Quake Hits Japan
#1  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Ditto
655 REPLIES Watch  |  Sort by Likes · Date
KWierso Sponsor
jibtv.com/program/?page=0
#2  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Cool
James NWETS
I hear the waves are on their way to Oregon. I'm giving prayers to all of my friends and family who live on the coast, and to those in Japan.
#3  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 2 Ditto
KWierso Sponsor
In reply to JamesKryack, #3:

Hawaii is also under a tsunami warning.
#4  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Ditto
Lt_amazil
as a small island close to japan i am glad guam isn't gonna be hit...oh crap i hope i don't jinx it
#5  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Zing!
KWierso Sponsor
In reply to Lt_amazil, #5:

Tsunami warnings issued for japan, russia, taiwan, mariana islands, guam, phillipines, marshal islands, indonesia, papua new guinea, nauru, micronesia and hawaii
#6  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Ditto
BuckeyeDon Thanks
No tsunami warning for California coast

"No tsunami warning has been issued for the California coast due to the 8.8 magnitude earthquake in Japan, but officials said they are still assessing the situation.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said that a new warning could be issued as more information becomes available.

A tsunami watch was issued for a large swath of the Pacific, including Hawaii, where officials expect a wave could hit at 2:59 a.m. Hawaii time (4:59 a.m. PST). Tsunami warnings were also issued for the coast of Japan, Russia, Taiwan and Guam."
#7  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Cool
Reaper86
Oh shit, I hope my buddy in Japan is okay!

Edit: Oh wait, he moved to Singapore. Still, I hope his family in Japan is doing alright!

Post edited 3/11/11 1:50AM
#8  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
swooper74
Al Jazeera's live coverage
#9  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 3 Cool
swooper74
53 countries and territories have a tsunami warning or watch now.
#10  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Ditto
James NWETS
Unknown number of people missing from northern Japan. Potentially millions of lives at risk. Waves reported to be possibly hitting the west coast of South and Central America.
#11  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
swooper74
#12  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 2 Cool
swooper74
first confirmed report has eight dead, expecting that number to grow significantly.
#13  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
swooper74
Info for North American West coast.
#14  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Cool
BuckeyeDon Thanks
I can only imagine the health and welfare calamity to follow.
#15  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 3 Ditto
swooper74
In reply to BuckeyeDon, #15:

this is going to make Katrina look like a roadside clean-up
#16  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 4 Ditto
BuckeyeDon Thanks
In reply to swooper74, #16:

So, does the US move half of its Carriers in the ME to Japan? Personally I hope so.
#17  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
James NWETS
In reply to BuckeyeDon, #17:

Reports were issued that the US would be moving to assist Japan, so I'd assume so. My prayers right now are in the countries bracing themselves for the oncoming waves. Hawai'i is on high alert.
#18  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Ditto
KWierso Sponsor
twitter.com/#!/BBCBreaking/statuses/46133073485643776
#19  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
KWierso Sponsor
Well fuck:
#Tsunami is higher than some Pacific islands and could go right over them: International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
#20  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
KWierso Sponsor
#Tsunami warning issued for parts of California, Oregan and Alaska after massive #Japan #earthquake: bbc.in/e29Rho
#21  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
13BlackRoses
In reply to BuckeyeDon, #7:
Update. NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TSUNAMI WARNING LIST

"A TSUNAMI WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT WHICH INCLUDES THE COASTAL AREAS OF CALIFORNIA AND OREGON FROM POINT CONCEPCION CALIFORNIA TO THE OREGON-WASHINGTON BORDER"

"THE TSUNAMI ADVISORY IS EXPANDED TO INCLUDE THE COASTAL AREAS OF CALIFORNIA FROM THE CALIFORNIA-MEXICO BORDER TO POINT CONCEPCION CALIFORNIA"

Everybody from the Tsunami warning areas (whether in Japan, other Pacific Islands, or the US) PLEASE BE SAFE. My family members in Hawaii have just been evacuated to higher ground. This is serious. Get in touch with family and friends in warning areas to make sure they're safe and to spread awareness.

Post edited 3/11/11 3:41AM
#22  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 4 Ditto
Tudor Forum Mod
The headline you won't be reading: "Millions saved in Japan by good engineering and government building codes". Buts it's the truth.
#23  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 11 Ditto
Reaper86
In reply to TudorVII, #23:

Good point. From what I'm hearing, earthquakes aren't an unusual act of nature in Japan, so yeah, they're buildings are somewhat prepared for all of this.
#24  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Reaper86
The local news here in Oregon is talking to a fishing captain on his boat, just leaving Honolulu harbor. He's saying it's like a city of boats leaving the harbors and heading into deeper waters. Not just fishing boats, but sailboats, tankers, etc.

Apparently they head into deeper waters so that the impact is less severe on them. Probably also so the boats won't be tossed and smashed into the city itself.

Thoughts and prayers are also with those in Hawaii and those who are out on their boats!

Post edited 3/11/11 4:50AM
#25  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 2 Ditto
BigBen more than 90
In reply to TudorVII, #23:
The headline you won't be reading: "Millions saved in Japan by good engineering and government building codes". Buts it's the truth.

That was my thought on reading that it was measured as an 8.9. That's right up there with the strongest earthquakes in recorded history. Almost on par with the Indonesian earthquake in 2004.

You look at pictures from other earthquakes of that magnitude, you see citiscapes that are devastated, like an atomic bomb went off. They're reporting only really a handful of people dead in japan in comparison, although the death toll will certainly be higher after they work through the wreckage of the tsunami.

(video) - of the japanese quake, although some hundred miles from the epicenter.

by comparison this is security camera footage from the US embassy in haiti during the earthquake there. The camera itself is shaking, but

Post edited 3/11/11 5:59AM
#26  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 3 Ditto
BigBen more than 90
In reply to BigBen, #26:

As a side note, on the youtube video for the "8.9 magnitude earthquate in japan" one of the google adds was "8.9 inch mini inspire laptop!"

Way to keep it classy google.
#27  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 3 Funny
pal_sch
Now they have declared an emergency situation on one of the nuclear power station. Initial report was that it didn't respond properly to cooldown orders. No other details I can see yet, doing some digging.

EDIT: Now some details. Emergency generators related to cooling pumps didn't start automatically. No radiation leak or possibility of one unless another dozen systems fail. The pumps are meant to come online after a shutdown. There was also a fire in the turbine building. Odds are the plant will be down for a while.

Post edited 3/11/11 6:19AM
#28  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
13BlackRoses
This. Fucking. Year. The further we get into it, the more I dislike it.

Personally? We've had three deaths in my family, a flood in my great aunt's house, and a fire in my dad's house.

Worldwide? There have been revolutions and massacres going on in the Middle East, there have been hurricanes and earthquakes in Australia and New Zealand, and now there are earthquakes and tsunamis occurring right now on a global scale.

Hey 2011... STOP TRYING TO BE 2012.
#29  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 4 Funny
pal_sch
In reply to pal_sch, #28:

Now a call for a 2km evacuation zone around the plant. I missed the live update so details are sparse and tweets are pretty useless. People seem to be confusing an earlier fire at a separate plant with the one which is currently under the state of emergency (at least one new agency used an image from the oil refinery fire while reporting that story, because that won't cause panic...).

EDIT: Seems even the IAEA is asking for more details now. Clearest reports I've seen suggest emergency cooling is working at one plant and a fire has been put out at another, but still a state of emergency at both and evacuation zone around the first.

Post edited 3/11/11 6:47AM
#30  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
[ 1 ] [ 2 ] ... [ 21 ] [ 22 ] [ Next ]
Please sign in or sign up to post a comment.