+68
+67
Signed up: 10 years ago (10/05/04)
Last signed in: 6 days ago
jackie
RoadBlock
LoZelda
jack Cast & Crew
wayway2tall Sponsor
Supreme Court Opinion Makes Prosecution of Internet Trolls More Difficult

*Disclaimer – I am not licensed to practice law. The following is a reflection of my reading of a Supreme Court opinion, and should not be relied on by anyone. I am not advertising my services, seeking compensation, or looking for notoriety: I am offering an explanation of the significant legal principles as I seem them for informative purposes.*

Today the Supreme Court ruled in Elonis v. United States that a law often used to prosecute internet users who make threatening comments over the Internet could not be used unless the perpetrator knew the language to be threatening. Prior to this ruling, most courts held that an internet threat is illegal if a reasonable person (e.g. the person being threatened, other site-users) would feel threatened. The court today, however, found this rule was not an accurate interpretation of the statute, and required that any person convicted of making internet threats must be “blameworthy in mind before he can be found guilty.” While this ruling is a win for internet users who say the threats they make over the internet are intended for therapeutic or cathartic reasons, I am concerned that Internet threats are often made in passing while read quite seriously, making prosecution difficult under any other interpretation. This ruling requires authorities to demonstrate that a threat was made to be taken seriously, or at least made with the awareness that it might be taken seriously—a more difficult standard to prove unless the defendant admits what he or she was thinking when the threat was made.

The facts of the case are that Anthony Elonis was arrested for 5 counts of violating 18 USC §875(c) which makes it a crime to transmit “any communication containing any threat to injure the person of another.” The statute was enacted in 1939 to apply to telecommunications that existed at the time, but is still used for federal prosecutions regarding threats made...
1 month ago  |  Conversation
BillNyeJr
Thanks for the password nerd!!!!
1 month ago  |  Conversation
GLORP Sponsor
Jack,
You may not read this but there is a girl in Rhode Island that is a huge fan of all things RT. Last year she was diagnosed with chronic Lyme Disease and has been unable to do the things a normal girl should be able to do. Tomorrow, Wednesday May 13, is her 16th birthday. She will not be able to celebrate it as she should due to her disease. Furthermore, tomorrow she will begin using IV bags that will make her feel like she has the flu. I have talked very briefly with her and she asked me to contact you to thank you (for what exact purpose I do not know), and said to ask for a temporary follow on Twitter @Lindsey_Clark11 or a friend request on this site. Her RT username is lindsey_11. What I am trying to do with this message is make her tomorrows featured user, but I don't know if I'm too late to make that deadline. I encourage you to please read the rest of her story as she said it on her Tumblr loserwithlyme.tumblr.com/
1 month ago  |  Conversation
blutzy93 Sponsor
nice haircut you got jack.
1 month ago  |  Conversation
chris9801 RVBTO AH
Looks just like you:

Fanfrit
So your beard holds the secrets of the universe, right? Like the secrets behind wormholes is buried in there somewhere?
KennyMeador
I challenge the achievement hunter crew to a Survival pc game. Unturned! I think you gentlemen would create some good laughs from it. www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHW0OJBPhL0 feel free to take a look.
jojojojo485
hey jack i wanted to tell u i live in Vegas and i went to stack steak house because u talked about it and it was fucking amazing, i probably would not have gone otherwise. thank you
FontaGamer
so AzrielRuckus won when they have not signed in 10 months and i looked for the comment and saw nothing from them anywhere?
2 months ago  |  Conversation
1) All comments were supposed to be put in the journal, and a number of the pages had to be deleted because they were slowing down the site.

2) Last signed in is the last time you physically entered your password. Cookies will last indefinitely. If you look at my profile, I haven't signed in sin...
#1  Posted 2 months ago
nowa
"We did it, minion! Jack thought he could stop us with the door? HA! I was MADE to open doors! There's no stopping us now, minion! Together, we shall free Pandora! I will lead you into battle! I will destroy Handsome Jack with my bare hands! I will- STAIRS?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

-ClapTrap-
2 months ago  |  Conversation
You've posted this same comment over two dozen times in the past two weeks. The contest is over and you can stop now.
#1  Posted 2 months ago
Lol didn't really notice. Sorry if it seemed like if I was spamming
#2  Posted 2 months ago
Desayjin Guardian x3
So this is still a thing going on? Might need to get someone to clean up your personal comments section!
CornontheRob
Claptrap
StephanieAme
"Aaaaannnnddd.....open!"
spar124 Sponsor
This post has been deleted by a moderator.
fake
#1  Posted 2 months ago
spar124 Sponsor
aw I was quoting Gavin when he asked for a free sponsorship
#2  Posted 2 months ago
kenny76
Claptrap, since a winner hasn't been announced.
TheMaysacre
Claptrap
AHJarrett
Claptrap
"CL4P TP Steward Bot"
Thanks 2K and Achievment Hunter!
ksissick26
claptrap
mschinells
Claptrap
GyroCaptain
Claptrap
THE_corndawg
Claptrap
aduck14
Claptrap Mother Trucker
Boggart Sponsor
Hey Jack, don't really know who to inform about this, there is a typo in the Achievement Hunter Community TOS/guidelines page, it says "minuets not minutes."
rjoegia
claptrap!
i almost died when i saw the video! this is the most bad ass claptrap i have ever seen made!
Riebz Semper Fi
Upon reading Fragger's journal about the situation, i wanted to let you know that I have a lot of respect for what you did to help resolve the situation and not only just that you did it, but the emotion described by Fragger is honorable, I admire the fact that you didn't just do what you had to do to take care of the situation, but the genuine anger(as described by Fragger) about what was done that showed a lot about the amount of concern you had for the well-being of that particular community member, as an aspiring Marine Corps officer, when I saw that, I knew that what you and Geoff did will stick with me for a long time as I learn what it means to live and do things in service of others, especially when concerning very bad situations and people. What you do for the community is greatly appreciated
BenDover4Me
Claptrap
Weaponize it
AHevilJack
Claptrap

Hello Jack. So we finally meet. I've come back in time to tell you some things so you don't become evil! Follow these steps and you will not be converted by the darkness.
1. Move that thing we hid! It will be found and stolen!
2. Punch Gavin directly in the testacles. He will deserve it.
3. Make sure Ray never makes that time machine in minecraft!
4. Steal Ryan's personal favorite weapon to stop the RTX MASSACHRE OF 2021.
5. Be very nice to your significant other (it works out)!
6. Eat the next fruit you see and your life will be followed by absolute good luck.
7. Build that machine you wanted to always build that makes video games reality and kill Lester in GTA, become the king in chivalry, and build a house in minecraft.
8. On June 28, 2015, MAKE SURE THE HOUSE IS LOCKED BEFORE SLEEPING.
9. YOU MUST FOLLOW THE LAST STEP TO COMPLETE THE PROCESS. PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE OR ELSE EVIL CONSUMPTION DEATH HEART EXPLOSION SEIZURES EILL OCCUR!!!!!!!
10. Get the AH members to sign their favorite borderlands characters (optional). Then send the borderlands handsome edition clap-in-a-box to me. :) after all, I am your biggest fan *smirk*
UPON COMPLETION YOU WILL BE REWARDED WITH THE TILE OF PIMPS FROM THE FUTURE EVIL YPU AND IT WILL KEEP YOU GOOD GUY JACK!
Thank you!
You've done yourself a huge favor, I assure you.
TheDoctor100
Claptrap

They're coming outta the wall-sphincters

- Doc